- Community education on affordable housing policy;
- Advocacy with elected officials and others on affordable housing issues;
- Advocacy to improve and increase the availability of decent, good, accessible affordable housing; and
- Monitoring local housing issues.
AHA's accomplishments in 2011-2012 include the following:
I. Community Education about Affordable housing
- Created our public education and awareness campaign to address myths about affordable housing and promote the goal of affordable housing for all. The primary focus of this campaign is the faith-based community and young adults in the greater Cincinnati area.
- The campaign describes the need for affordable housing and asks, "Everybody knowsâ€¦ Do you?"
- Increased our outreach through improvements to our website and use of Facebook and other social media.
- Participated in the Cincinnati Neighborhood Summit, providing educational materials on affordable housing advocacy and policy work.
- Held meetings for AHA membership with the help of professional facilitators to learn effective methods of education and advocacy to promote affordable housing.
- Held a community forum on barriers to housing experienced by ex-offenders.
- Prepared our 2011 Housing Report: Opening Doors, a comprehensive analysis of affordable housing needs and issues in Hamilton County, Ohio. The report has been distributed widely.
II. Advocacy to elected officials and others to improve and increase affordable housing
- Made recommendations to the Cincinnati Metropolitan Housing Authority about its housing policies and programs, including urging CMHA to create a broad-based community advisory group, and proposing a diverse group of nominees for CMHA Board appointments who will support the mission of CMHA.
- Participated as a member in the City of Cincinnati/Hamilton County Fair Housing Advisory Board.
- In cooperation with the Hamilton County Reentry Committee, established a committee to promote awareness of the housing needs of those with criminal records; the committee set goals to improve housing options for this group.
- Continued the work of our "Housing Preservation Committee," focusing on preserving good affordable rental housing in greater Cincinnati in the face of budget cuts and other challenges.
- Commented on numerous issues of importance regarding affordable housing at the federal, state and local level.
AHA 2011-2012 Housing Report
AHA 2011 Annual Meeting(PDF)
AHA 2011 Career Achievement Award: Susan Walsh(PDF)
2010 State of Affordable Housing in Hamilton County: The Crisis Report